Here’s what I’m planning to do on the day (despite having to go to work, which isn’t even remotely poetry-related…)
12:00am: I’m going to wake up at midnight and write until I have to get ready for work. Seriously. This is the plan anyhow, will keep you posted on when I actually manage to get up! Have a number of things I’m wanting to work on and the house is so quiet (the middle of the night after all). Fingers crossed. (Might take some tips from Michael if I get stuck.)
7:30am: Meant to be sunrise at 7:30 tomorrow, and as the theme for NPD this year is ‘Light’, I’ll head up to the local hill and watch the sunrise with a thermos of tea and something to write with! And an umbrella, this is Scotland after all…
9:00am: I’ve got to work, but can listen to music at my desk, so thought I’d keep it festive and have lined up a number of podcasts, recordings and such that I’ll listen to either live or backdated, including:
- plus I’ll be keep an eye on Twitter, I’m sure there’ll be more suggestions on the day!
12:00pm: Lunch! Is there somewhere poetry-themed I can eat? The Blind Poet? Tips welcome!
- Might peruse the Book Week Scotland schedule on my break & book in for some poetry events?
- Definitely looking forward to seeing who wins the Big Words Edinburgh competition!
- Will head out and see if I can find the Scottish Poetry Library’s poetry postcards around town.
5:00pm: Pass the time on my bus ride home with poetry apps (as usual?) – my go-to is the Poetry Foundation app which is available offline as well. Poetry Daily has a good app too. Poetry in your pocket all the time!
6:00pm: Poetry over dinner? I haven’t checked out the BBC’s Contains Strong Language, but looks like lots of great shows to choose from!
10:00pm: Poetry before bed! Will read from the bedside table pile until I zonk.
Other Activities in Edinburgh/Online
- 10:30-11:30: Poetry and Coffee at Hendersons in the morning.
- 11:00: Jackie Kay reading for schools (online)
- 2:00pm: reading at the National Library on theme of Light
News & Resources
Have a fun and poetry-filled day!