It has been a brilliant year! Looking back, I just can’t believe how many fantastic things I got to take part in, see and do.
I have gone on MANY adventures – including but not limited to: exploring Iceland, returning to California (twice!, including a trip to Catalina Island), staying at Loch Fyne with pals, Pitlochry with family, and loads of little day trips throughout the year with my handsome wingman.
We also did/saw a lot of cool stuff, including:
We had a bumper year of birthdays, weddings, and babies. Including: my 30th, S’s dad’s 60th; weddings for the Chao’s, the Taylor-Lee’s, the Wallace’s, the Cunningham’s and the Brown’s! It was a great pleasure to meet the newest wee Nisbet and the newest baby Moffat (who JUST made it in the last days of 2014)!
Make / Eat
We feasted like kings! Both homemade:
And on the town:
Sadness food news of 2014: our beloved Illegal Jack’s closing down. =( What will we do??! I’m heartbroken.
It’s been a bumper animal year, with our new pet chickens arriving in July, a christmas pet visitor (Boo, the cat!), Icelandic ponies, seals at Inchcolm, wild stag sightings in Perth, and multiple trips to our ultra-local Edinburgh Zoo:
Top: We especially liked Edinburgh Zoo Nights, which we went to with S’s family. The pitchers of Pimm’s and the penguin sightings were plentiful.
Honorable mention: So many brilliant animal sightings on our CA trip – dolphins, whales, garibaldi (orange fish), herons, rattlesnakes, and a hairy caterpillar breeding ground!
Boardgames – Dominion again probably. Agricola a close second!
Videogames – Professor Layton (completed Azran Legacy); S big into Hearthstone amongst many, many others.
Festival – Sonar in Iceland was amazing!
Book – Sinéad Morrissey’s Parallax (and everything else she’s written!!), or David Orr’s Beautiful & pointless (crit) or perhaps listening to Tina Fey’s Bossypants audiobook which was stellar.
Music review – Will post asap on my (now completed!) 30hours of karaoke, and include a ‘true’ round-up of my top songs of 2014 and life. But in the meantime, I especially enjoyed these 2014 mashups and top-tunes lists:
- DJ Earworm – always amazing
- Pop Danthology
- Hype Machine’s zeitgeist 2014
- Pitchfork’s top 100 tracks
- a few, more, for, good, measure!
- Bonus: I just stumbled across this Youtube 2014 video which I think is really neat actually! I don’t hugely ‘follow’ anyone on youtube particularly, but it’s cool to see all the sort of meme-people of the year in one video.
PBs & Level ups
Definitely completing my 30-by-30 challenges has to be on there.
Sticking to my only resolution from last year – #nobooze2014 – and going the entire year without drinking at ALL! It’s probably the way forward for me. Definitely feel better physically, have more time, make better choices, and can eat my calories in cakes instead of beer!
My adult women’s basketball team won Lothian league and the local cup!
And, we bought a HOUSE! #grownups
Resolutions for 2015
I’m not really big into resolutions, but really enjoyed my 30-by-30 last year as a means of giving me some focus and fun things to look forward to. Here’s hoping this will do the same! Roll on 2015!
- Go to Jupiter Artland – on my doorstep but never been!
- Go to Steptoe’s yard
- Go trampolining
- See a murmuration (of starlings)
- Invest more time in writing
- Buy a bike & try to cycle to work
- Finish more (craft) projects
- Do more animal-related activities
- Eat fruit/veg from our garden (aka successfully grow something in our garden!)
- ‘Become Aiko Greig’ aka ‘Go full Greig’ aka ‘Go Greig or Go Home’ (ie. change my name finally on all my official documents/passports/residence card! Life admin!)
Feeling nostalgic? Zeitgeist 2013
Plus! Watch this space for epic Aiko-news forthcoming (embargoed until today!).